“Fundamentals of Teaching” courses introduce new teaching fellows to basic principles of teaching.
A list of the 2014-2015 “Fundamentals” is located at left. [Current descriptions will be posted by early September.] Click on each discipline to learn how to register and for dates, times, locations, facilitators’ emails, and full descriptions.
Designed to be taken just before or concurrent with a first teaching experience, “Fundamentals of Teaching” courses provide a venue to reflect on educational goals and the strategies that teachers use to create effective learning experiences. Many “Fundamentals of Teaching” courses are designed for specific groups of first-time teachers within specific departments, while others are cross disciplinary and focus on the essential teaching goals within the humanities, the sciences, and the social sciences.
Teaching fellows who register for and complete any Fundamentals course will receive a transcript notation, certifying that you have been trained in the basic teaching practices of your discipline or area. Completion of a Fundamentals course also fulfills one requirement of the Certificate in College Teaching Preparation. Your course leaders will inform you of the pertinent standards of completion.
If you have any questions about the Fundamental Courses, or which course would be appropriate for you, please contact the Yale Center for Teaching and Learning at 432-7702 or email Assistant Director Alexia Ferracuti.
Fall 2014 Teaching @ Yale Day
Monday, August 25, 2014; HGS 119 & 217A
Are you teaching this fall for the very first time? Will it be your first semester of teaching at Yale? Then come and join us on Monday, August 25th, for Teaching @ Yale Day, an orientation for all teaching fellows, part-time acting instructors, and first-time teachers.
- become better prepared for the first day of section, class, or lab
- learn about important policies and guidelines for teaching in Yale College
- receive guidance from experienced teaching fellows and faculty members
- gain insight into the perspective of Yale undergraduates
- be introduced to the Center for Teaching and Learning, and other teaching resources
- have many of their questions answered by our panel of experts
The day’s schedule is as follows:
9:30 a.m. – 12:15 p.m., HGS 119: Teaching @ Yale Day for Teachers in the Physical and Natural Sciences, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics*
12:15 p.m. – 1:15 p.m., HGS Courtyard: Lunch for morning and afternoon participants (vegetarian option available)
1:15 p.m. – 4 p.m., HGS 119: Teaching @ Yale Day for Teachers in the Humanities
1:15 pm – 4 p.m., HGS 217A: Teaching @ Yale Day for Teachers in the Social Sciences
→ The Biological and Biomedical Sciences program and the School of Public Health each offer a Teaching @ Yale Day in conjunction with the Center for Teaching and Learning:
- For the BBS event on Tuesday, August 19, 9:00-11:00 in KBT 1214, please register here:
- For the YSPH event on September 4, 10:30-1:00 in LEPH (60 College St), Room 216, please email Melanie Elliot.
In addition, all teaching fellows are invited to attend a “Fundamentals of Teaching” workshop series this fall. More information and registration coming soon! This year’s offerings are:
- Fundamentals of Teaching Engineering
- Fundamentals of Teaching Foreign Languages
- Fundamentals of Teaching History
- Fundamentals of Teaching with Images and Objects
- Fundamentals of Teaching Mathematics
- Fundamentals of Teaching Music
- Fundamentals of Teaching Physics
- Fundamentals of Teaching Political Science
- Fundamentals of Teaching in the Sciences (Medical School)
- Fundamentals of Teaching in the Sciences (Science Hill)
- Fundamentals of Teaching in the Social Sciences
- Fundamentals of Teaching Texts
Spring 2014 Teaching @ Yale Day
Date and Location January 13, 2014, HGS 119
Packet available here
- 9:30am Welcome
- 9:45 The first Day of Class: Two Types of Teachers
- 10:15 Panel: Perspectives on Teaching
- Dean Mia Reinoso Genoni, “The Yale College Structure, and Policies and Protocols”
- Professor Alan Mikhail, “The Interaction between Professors and Teaching Fellows”
- Claudia Calhoun, YTC fellow, “What I Wish I Had Known as a New TF”
- TBA, “The Role of the TF in an Undergraduate’s Career”
- 11:20 Topics in Teaching: Core Competencies
- 12:00 Lunch
Held before the first week of classes every semester, “Teaching @ Yale Days” orient teaching fellows to the culture of Yale’s undergraduate experience, the structure and function of sections and labs in the Yale curriculum, and the expectations of Yale students and faculty.
Teaching @ Yale Days are open to all disciplines, with the spring program featuring a combined science/social science/humanities session.
By attending Spring 2014 Teaching @ Yale Day, you will:
- Learn strategies for the first day of class
- Learn about important policies and guidelines for teaching in Yale College
- Receive guidance from experienced teaching fellows and faculty members
- Be introduced to teaching resources at Yale
Fall 2013 Teaching @ Yale Day
Packet: T@YD Packet (right-hand column, under Resources)
- 9:30am-12:15, HGS 119: for TF’s in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- 12:15-1:10, HGS courtyard: Lunch for all participants
- 1:15 - 4:00, HGS 119: for TF’s in the Humanities and Foreign Languages
- 1:15-4:00, HGS 217A: for TF’s in the Social Sciences